All throughout your life you’ve intended to do lots of things. You might have intended to go into a certain line of work, live in a certain area, or become involved in certain hobbies and activities. But everyday life just kind of intervened, distracted, occupied and prevented you from doing what you’d always thought you would do.
And you still haven’t done most of those things. You are still here wishing that you could fulfill some of those desires and accomplish goals that you had since long time ago. Many of these might even come up during conversation with your friends and family from time to time. And you always keep saying, “I’ve always wanted to this or that”, “wish I could do that”.
So, how can you stop talking and start doing what you intend to do? What does it take to follow through with your intentions?
These action strategies can help inspire you to begin fulfilling your life’s dreams:
- Pick your top 3 intentions/goals that you want to accomplish. Cutting down the number of goals to a minimum will help you accomplish these goals. Select those that are the most important for you.
- Stay focused on those top 3 goals and don’t allow any distractions or anything else to get in the way of accomplishing them. As you focus, you’ll keep those goals on your mind every single day. You might say you’ll eat, sleep, and drink with those few goals.
- Break each goal up into “chunks.” Divide it up into smaller mini-goals and enjoy one success after another as you attain these smaller goals and get closer to achieving your end goal. Breaking up each goal into do-able chunks will galvanize you to get started working toward the goal one bit at a time.
- For example, if one of your goals is to travel to Japan, what is every aspect of the trip you must plan for? Your mini-goals might include setting a date, gathering finances, deciding where all you’ll go and what you want to do when you get there, and more.
- Commit yourself to do something that moves you closer toward each of your 3 goals every single day. For example, rather than spend 2 hours in the evening playing on your electronic tablet, spend one of those hours working towards one of your mini-goals.
- Be flexible. If focusing on 3 of your desires at once is too difficult for you to work toward, then choose just one at a time and work on it until you accomplish the goal. Also, be willing to switch from moving one goal ahead to working on another if you get stuck.
- Change your language. Rather than continuing to state you “always wanted to do” something, state what you’ve done recently to work toward accomplishing your goal. Use your discussions and language to remind yourself and others of what your intentions are. Now your talk and your actions are both consistent with attaining your goal.
- For example, if you’ve always wanted to learn Tai Chi, tell what you’ve done to check into it. “I called the Y the other day to find out when the Tai Chi class starts and how much it costs.” What a thrill it will be when your next conversation includes, “At my Tai Chi class the other day…”
Imagine how wonderful it would be to start actively working on you dreams desires and goals and how good it would feel to accomplish them. You can start doing what you’ve always wanted to do and live the kind of life you’ve always wanted to live. There’s nothing stopping you. You’ve all the resources within your reach to start working towards achieving your goals. Choose right now to start doing what you’ve always intended to do and move a step closer towards your dreams.